Blue Ridge Parkway Trails: Near Virginia Rt. 60
Image: by D L Ennis, taken near the entrance of the Whetstone Ridge Trail.
These trails are a short drive from Lexington, Buena Vista and the Rockbridge area, Amherst and Lynchburg.
• Whetstone Ridge Trail - Milepost 29 on the Parkway. A 12 mile US Forest Service managed trail starting at Whetstone Ridge Visitor Center. Trail runs directly along the spine of the ridge for 8 miles of breathtaking views. Moderate.
• Boston Knob - Milepost 38.8 on the Parkway. A leg stretching walk only .10 mile in length. Easy.
• Otter Creek - Milepost 63.1 on the Parkway. A pleasant 0.8 mile loop trail through the forest overlooking Otter Lake. Easy.
• Yankee Horse Trail - Milepost 34.4 on the Parkway. A short 0.2 mile walk to a small waterfall overlooking a reconstructed logging railroad from the early 1900's. Moderate.
• Indian Rocks - Milepost 47.5 on the Parkway. A 0.3 mile walk through the woods to spectacular rock formations. Good choice for children because of the short walk and rocks to climb on. Moderate.
• White Oak Flats - Milepost 55.2 on the Parkway. Length is 0.1 mile. Easy.
Enjoy and remember; leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures and memories.
Technorati Tags: [Blue Ridge][Lexington][Buena Vista][Rockbridge][Amherst][Lynchburg][Blue Ridge Parkway][Trails][Hiking]